Sunday, January 23, 2011

Me as a LEADER


Me as a leader
               As I see myself as a leader I come across to an idea that there are still many things that I need to know and learn for me to become a good and effective leader.
                 According to Lisa Dewey in her five qualities of a good leader she states that a leader is someone who helps others do and become more than they ever thought possible. Leadership is about unlocking potential, whether individual potential or that of a group, company, or organization. It is not about telling people what to do, but inspiring them to see what they are capable of, then, helping them get there. Therefore, I need to inspire other people especially my students for them to make use of their potentials and shine according to their own inclination.
                 It is being said that a leader is useless without followers; I also learned that our followers is very important in our being a leader. In addition, we need to attract followers who will follow us and share with our aspirations and dreams with common goal to achieve success. However, it is also important to take into account on the part of the leader to give its followers the assurance and confidence of one’s leadership in such a way they will be enabled and empowered to do their part in the fulfillment of the group’s target.
                 I also learned that good communicative skills play an important role to a leader because it is a tool for him to bridge the gap between its followers. Without a good communication processes in an organization a healthy relationship between the leader and the followers could be very impossible to happen.
                 From the Seven Qualities of a Good Leader presented by Barbara White the first quality she mentioned is that a good leader has an exemplary character. It is of utmost importance that a leader is trustworthy to lead others. A leader needs to be trusted and be known to live their life with honestly and integrity. A good leader “walks the talk” and in doing so earns the right to have responsibility for others. True authority is born from respect for the good character and trustworthiness of the person who leads. I then realized that sound value system is essential to a good leader since it is an aid for a leader to gain respect from its followers. Therefore, I need to check every now and again my value system whether it is anchored to morality and what is expected of me as a leader or as a teacher.
                 Deep inside me I know that I have the qualities of being a good leader but I also have my weaknesses that somehow hinders me and my group to achieved our desired goals. To mention of my weaknesses are; I lack time management, I am easily discouraged with failures and I am also easily get irritated with the unpleasant behavior of my members/followers. These are the things that I need to work out with in order for me to become an effective leader. Indeed, being a leader is not as an easy  responsibility but eventually with the great determination the qualities of being a good leader can be learned in due time only if am open to changes, I will have the determination to change and I am willing to accept corrections for me to improve my skills in leading people.

1 comment:

  1. no one is perfect, yes! What is important is that one shoud be aware of one's weaknesses and exert effort in overcoming these... and I appreciate your being able to assess yourself along the aspect of leadership... keep growing ...

    ReplyDelete